Thursday 28 August 2014

The Case Against “Doing What You Love”

Cartoon by Rachel Nabors

Cartoon by Rachel Nabors



Web developer Rachel Nabors followed her passion and was a full-time comic book artist. But an unexpected surgery and a lack of health insurance debunked her plans and given her a new outlook on creative work. Now? She believes that “do what you love” is bad advice.



My first love, comics, gives me an edge in this industry. If I’d just gone straight into web development because it seemed like a money-maker, I wouldn’t be half as excited about what I can do or as interesting to others in my field. I and my community are better for the years I spent making comics, even if it wasn’t a successful career choice.


But, if I’d kept “doing what I love” in the industry that didn’t love me back, I would have never realized that there are other, more profitable, things I love.



Rather than telling you to do what you love, I’d like to say this:


Don’t do something you hate for a living.


There is no glory in suffering. Because you can grow to hate something you love if it puts you in a bad position, this advice gives you permission to move on to greener pastures if what you love is making you cry at night. Whatever you love should love you back. And if it’s not working out, it’s ok to find something else to love.



We all have more than one true passion in us — sometimes it just takes time to find it.


[via]






via 99U http://ift.tt/1wHqp8x

No comments:

Post a Comment