Wednesday 29 April 2015

Don’t Work Harder, Work Faster

By Veiray Zhang

By Veiray Zhang

Few people have the authority to admonish you to work faster, even when you’re wiped. Gary Vaynerchuk is one of them. The best-selling author and founder of VaynerMedia is not only CEO of said social media brand consulting agency, he’s also a successful video blogger, co-owner and director of operations of a wine retail store, and a prolific public speaker. His advice on getting more done:

I always tell people to start working harder, to hustle. I truly believe that people could watch an hour less of Scandal and instead do some fucking work. But there’s another variable that I don’t talk about enough: be much faster in the hours you’re already in. Train yourself to do a little bit more in each hour than you normally would. Every day add something, and get it all done. The first few days you may not get it all done, but keep adding on, and you’ll get there. It’s training for a marathon. It takes time, but once you’re done, you’ll see that you’re doing much more in a day because you’re moving faster.

To get more, and better, work done, push yourself to rev your engines a little more. Cultivate a sense of urgency so not one chunk of time is wasted:

There is not one second that I’m down during the work day. On my team, we fight for minutes on my calendar. Even seconds. Every second I am doing something.

I used to think I was the biggest workaholic that lived. From twenty-two to thirty, I really thought I was all in. But I had enough time to bullshit about baseball with friends. I had time. Now, I’m dramatically faster. And I’m working more hours. That’s how it’s happening. That’s how I got to where I am. I had to realize it for myself, and now I’m telling you.

If you do an honest audit of your time, you’ll undoubtedly discover hidden pockets—a YouTube video here, a BuzzFeed quiz there—that you could repurpose into productive effort to further your latest project or your career goals.

[via]



via 99U http://ift.tt/1EQlczM

No comments:

Post a Comment