Wednesday 22 May 2013

In Defense of Dumb Questions

Programmer Chris Maddox writes about the time he realized the benefit of expressing his opinions, even when he knew he had a lot to learn. He recalls a college economics class where Christina Romer, former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers, was guest a lecturer:



Far too often, I have seen peers cowed in the face of brilliance and, as such, failed to leave with any useful knowledge. Honestly, I wasn’t entirely sure if sending checks to Americans during the recession was a good idea. But I bet that if I told Christina Romer that the economics taught in our ivory tower ignored fundamental tenets of human psychology, she’d have a profoundly interesting answer. [So I asked.] She laughed…then tore me to pieces.


Those 90 seconds taught me more about economics than two semesters of lecture, problem sets, and pretty graphs.



Read his entire essay here.






via 99U http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/The99Percent/~3/A8QkTIWabSY/in-defense-of-dumb-questions

No comments:

Post a Comment